I used to think that my life would become peaceful after I resolved every issue I was facing and achieved every success I desired. After a while, I noticed that new issues and goals kept arriving without pause, and I needed to make peace a priority now, in the midst of struggle. It has improved my life immensely.
Here are some suggestions for adding peace to your life right now. Feel free to print them out and post them prominently where they’ll remind you to take a break when you need one. Add your own favorites, too.
- Make a cup of hot tea. Cup your hands around it. Sip it slowly.
- Walk around the block (even if the weather is bad) noticing the buildings, plants, and pavement around you. Notice how your body feels as you walk.
- Take a bath. Add Epsom salts or your favorite bubble bath.
- Write a thank-you note to someone. Mail it.
- Breathe. Inhale all the way into your belly, hold it for a moment, and then let the air flow out of you. Do it again.
- Meditate. Similar to Breathing (above), but do it for 5-20 minutes. When you notice you’re distracted, gently bring your attention back to your breath.
- Play your favorite music on the stereo. Sing along, as loud as you want.
- Get together with a friend. Tell each other the truth about the struggles and triumphs in your life.
- Find a kind of dancing you enjoy. Do it often.
- Curl up with a favorite book.
- Leave five minutes early for your next destination. Enjoy the journey.
- Exchange hand or foot rubs with a friend. Give each other lots of feedback about what feels good.
I wish you many moments of peaceful relaxation in your life.
There are many books about self-care and self-acceptance.